Social Pedagogy is an academic discipline that draws on core theories from various related disciplines, such as education, sociology, psychology and philosophy. In essence, it is concerned with well-being, learning and growth. This is underpinned by humanistic values and principles which view people as active and resourceful agents, highlighting the importance of including them into the wider community, and aim to tackle or prevent social problems and inequality. Breaking The Cycle has designed this package to raise awareness of the issues surrounding this methodology and how it can be applied in a caring environment. The course will provide parents, carers and staff with a clear understanding of the benefits of using social pedagogic approaches and how they can achieve better outcomes for young people.
- Understand what Social Pedagogy is
- Understand the benefits of using it in practice
- Explore the ways that Social Pedagogy is being used to achieve better outcomes
- Identify available, useful and helpful resources
- Understand the role that Social Pedagogy can assist in building holistic meaningful relationships